“Zentangle® is an easy-to-learn, relaxing, and fun way to create beautiful images by drawing structured patterns.”
“In Zentangle, you focus on process, not outcome.”
“An Approach to Mindfulness.”
Maria Thomas & Rick Roberts founders of Zentangle ®.
Zentangle is many things to many people
- It is a simple and effective method of calming and focusing the mind
- An opportunity to ‘take time out’ and relieve stress
- A short ‘art and creativity’ session – a tile can be completed in just 15 minutes
- A process for problem solving
- A morning ritual
- A meditative process
- A beautiful art form
- Easy to learn – you’re up and running in one basic lesson
- Portable – you don’t need a lot of equipment (just a pen and pencil and you’re set)
- Endless Possibilities – you never run out of patterns and are limited only by your creativity
- Affordable – art supply costs are minimal
- Ageless – adults and children can create side by side
- Life enhancing – enjoy the benefits of a calm and focused mind.
- Addictive – but a healthy addiction 🙂
The Art of Zentangle Drawing
Margaret Bremner describes the process very succinctly in an article in Whole Life:
By taking Zentangle’s encouragement to make each stroke considered and deliberate, we can come to understand how apparently small and insignificant “strokes” (thoughts, words, actions) of our daily lives contribute to life’s patterns.
Making the deliberate pen strokes in a pattern focuses the attention in a way similar to meditation or being in the zone. As your eye follows your pen, your attention shifts to a state that allows fresh thoughts, new perspectives, and creative insights to flow unhindered by anxiety or effort.
Read more of this brief but beautifully descriptive article here: http://www.wholife.com/issues/17_2/05_article.html